Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Don’t Hand Me All That Jazz: A Confessional Memoir by Chip Miller

Let me start by sharing that I have never been a fan of jazz.

Or perhaps I should say, I thought I was never a fan of jazz.  This revelation revealed itself recently while I was listening to a weekly radio show in Palm Springs, California, on KJJZ Radio, “Jazz For Jazz Lovers,” hosted by radio personality and jazz connoisseur, Jeff Barr - who, I should add, is also a friend of mine.  When he asked if I would appear on his show to plug my just released CD, with my alternative rock band, Old Sand Mill, I agreed of course, figuring that any and all exposure for our new album is a good thing.  And though I am the songwriter, lead singer, and guitarist for the band, I still admittedly questioned my relevance to Jeff’s program.  After all, this has been a range of music I generally shunned over the years – both as a listener and as a musician.  My tastes have always run the gamut from Late 60’s to Contemporary Alternative Rock, Folk, Reggae, R&B, Blues, Bluegrass, World, and Classical, and depending on the occasion, “Heady” Music.

Barr is one of two jazz DJ’s at KJJZ Radio I can call a friend, the other being internationally renowned Smooth Jazz radio personality Jim “Fitz” Fitzgerald.  Coincidently, two years ago, Fitz conducted a live on-air telephone interview with me after he heard an advance track from Old Sand Mill’s debut CD, “The World Is Getting Colder” (currently a well-reviewed, popular CD on iTunes).  Though Fitz’s playlist features primarily Smooth Jazz and Fusion, he nevertheless, premiered our song, “Too Much Sun” on his daily show.  The jazz connection, apparently, was inspired by one of the many famous guest musicians on our album, Darryl Jones - a twenty-five year member of The Rolling Stones and bassist on two albums with Miles Davis.

Thus, on preparing for my upcoming appearance on Barr’s more purist jazz program, I searched into my other possible connections over the years, to the world of Mainstream, Modal, Avant-Garde, Cool, Improvisational, and Fusion Jazz. And the result was a surprise, filled with direct jazz-like influences throughout my life that I had simply not realized.  As a great writer once said, “The older I get, the better I used to be.”

For me, it was all about growing up with an Irish mom who was a World War II Navy WAV - nurse turned photographer - and eventually, a 30-year veteran of the Paterson, NJ Police Department.  Paterson is the birthplace of many more artists and entertainers, including jazz artist Bucky Pizzarelli, comedian Lou Costello, and iconic poets, Allen Ginsberg and William Carlos Williams.  After my father died at 39 years old, widowing my mother at 38, she turned her passion to the music of her era, big band and traditional jazz; her own tastes ranging from Dizzy Gillepsie and Lionel Hampton, to Benny Goodman and Tony Bennett.  She became President of big band singer, Helen O’Connell’s National Fan Club, and became very close friends with big band crooner, Bob Eberly, and the legendary Artie Shaw.

As a professional filmmaker, music video director, artist, and songwriter, my world of music and film did not intersect much with the jazz universe.  The earliest impressions of music that affected me, was Elvis, Doo-Wop, traditional Kingston Trio/Pete Seeger-style folk, the protest folk of Dylan, The Beatles and the British invasion, Progressive Rock, Punk, and selected Disco.  But now, somehow, I seemed to have done more than flirt with jazz, I’ve actually been more of a fan of it than I realized.  And more importantly, it has permeated my own creative work. 

Following is a list of icons and artists associated with jazz history, that have touched my life and my own history, in no particular chronology:

- Dave Brubeck – the first jazz recording I truly dug.  It taught me what being in a groove was.  For years, it was the only jazz artist I could cite and the only one I listened to.  How sweet that in 1980, I directed a television commercial for McCann Erickson Advertising in NYC and Dave scored it.  I got to spend weeks with him.  He was everything I hoped he would be.  In fact, we begin our own Old Sand Mill CD with an engineer saying “Take Five.”

- Diahann Carroll – I directed her live concert television special for PBS at the Annenberg Theater in Palm Springs in 2011, as part of the PBS national pledge drive (It is still airs in repeats).  Diahann, of course, an Oscar, EMMY, and Grammy Award winner, has vocalized, recorded, and jammed with the greats, from Sinatra and Hampton to Armstrong and Les Paul.

- Mel Torme – I was a scriptwriting partner with his son Tracy Torme, and briefly dated his step-daughter, Melissa Torme March in the early 80’s.  Her natural father was Hal March, host of the TV classic, “The $64,000 Question.”  I visited at Mel’s home in Beverly Hills quite often, where on several occasions, he spontaneously serenaded us in his den, on the very piano he composed “Christmas Song” on.  Experiencing this musical giant singing, “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire…” in a live, personal performance, is an unforgettable moment in my life.  We shared many a glass of vino together.  I regret I was on location in Hawaii, and could not attend his funeral tribute.

- John Coltrane & Cab Calloway – As a published poet, I still perform Spoken Word in the LA area, but when I resided in New York City in the 70’s and early 80’s, I appeared weekly in cafes from Greenwich Village to South Philly, where I often performed my original poems accompanied by guest musicians.  One special evening at The Village Gate in Greenwich Village, in an hour-long Spoken Word concert, I was joined on stage by John Coltrane himself; Avant-Garde Jazz abstractionist, Jude Quintere;  and published Poet/Author,  Louis Ginsberg (father of Beat Poet and World Jazz lover, the legendary, Allen Ginsberg)

Also on stage that night was - Cab Calloway!   A decade later, I controlled the film rights to Cab’s story and was attempting  to get it financed at a major studio, with Eddie Murphy attached to play Calloway.   As the attached director and screenwriter, I got to work closely with Cab before he passed in ’94.  What an honor.

- Artie Shaw – a longtime friend of my mom and her family.  I knew Artie since I was a young teen, though I did fall out of touch in the late ‘80’s, until he passed away in 2004.  He attended my mom’s funeral when she passed ten years earlier.

- Chick Corea – In an earlier incarnation as one-half of a popular acoustic duo, Reynolds and Miller, whom gained popularity on the East Coast in the early 70’s, we opened for Corea many times, including once when  his guitarist had to borrow my guitar because his was lost in baggage and hadn’t arrived in time for the show.

- Nina Simone - My first Personal Manager in NYC, Nat Shapiro (also a noted author on music and discographies) also managed Nina.  I got to sit in the wings onstage at Carnegie Hall during one of her concerts, and met her several times.

- Thelonious Monk – I opened for him in a music festival at Cornell State College in New York, with my Progressive Rock band, Pomeroy.  We all jammed together after the show.  It was, to say the least, a fascinating experience. 

- Oscar Peterson – I directed a national commercial spot for J. Walter Thompson Advertising Agency in NYC, and Oscar scored the spot, as well as appeared in it.  The best part was that we shot on location in New Orleans.  What a wonderful place to be working with a jazz icon.

- Keely Smith – I met Keely when I moved to the Palm Springs area, and have enjoyed getting to know her personally.  We first met backstage at a Chris Botti concert in 2006.  She got a big kick when I told her I had a mad crush on her when I was 12.

- Pat Metheny – Met Pat backstage at the Greek in LA, and had a chance to chat about music and the dying, changing music biz.   

- Chris Botti – Met and spent time with Chris Botti after his annual concert at the McCallum Theater in Palm Desert.  We connected over several mutual friends, particularly Darryl Jones (The Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, Madonna, etc.), who joined Chris recording and touring with Sting on his world tour.

- Darryl Jones – Bass player for The Rolling Stones for over thirty years, Darryl replaced original Stones bassist, Bill Wyman.  But before his long stint with The Stones, Jones played with Sting, Eric Clapton, Peter Gabriel, and Madonna.  But his pride and joy memories come from his playing bass with his hero, Miles Davis.  In the mid-80’s, he appeared on the Davis albums, “Decoy,” and “You’re Under Arrest.”  Darryl appears on our Old Sand Mill 2012 debut CD, “The World Is Getting Colder,” playing his remarkable bass on several tracks, including our first single, “Too Much Sun,” to be released in September 2012, and already a hit on iTunes.  In addition, Darryl, Old Sand Mill, and I, all share the same Personal Management team.

- Les Paul - The jazz legend who got me fired from my job.  One Summer in the mid-70's, I worked as a graphic and mechanical paste-up artist for a small ad agency in Mahwah, NJ, located about a half mile from Paul's sprawling ranch and estate.  One day, I chanced to come across him while I was taking a lunchtime Stroll.  He was a gentle and friendly fellow, who ended up inviting me to see his guitar collection and studio. I was blown away and spent the afternoon with him, completely forgetting about my job.  Needless to say, my boss was quite unhappy and let me go on the spot.  So, thank you Mister Paul, for an unforgettable afternoon and for getting me out of that horrible job.  Two months ater, I was working as an Art Director on Madison Avenue, followed a few years later by co-founding my own successful ad agency, American Media Advertising.  I sold the company to move to LA in 1982 to become a full-fledged filmmaker and writer.  My motto is "Les is more." 

- Bucky Pizzerelli and sons John and Martin – Hailing from my hometown of Paterson, NJ, I met and worked with Bucky many times and even shared a stage with him and his sons at a Bergen County, NJ open air music festival, where I performed my stand-up comedy act at the time. 

- Clint Eastwood – Besides his ultimate jazz-themed film, “Bird” in 1988 about Charlie “Bird” Parker, which I actually worked on, I have since gotten to know Clint quite well, including developing an original western script with his production company, Malpasso Films, along with longtime friend, actor Liam Neeson.  When Clint broke up with his longtime girlfriend, actress Sondra Locke, I was her rebound love interest for a few months.  I have had the honor of attending several of Clint’s film premieres, and now ironically, dine often at his restaurant, Hogsbreath Inn, in Old Town La Quinta, located within walking distance to my film and video production company, Desert C.A.M. Studios.  Clint, as most folks know, is a “pure” jazz lover from way, way back.

- Herbie Hancock – I Co-Produced two of his music videos in the 90’s.

- Gerald Albright & Jeff Golub – Got to know them both quite well when I directed a recent multi-camera concert video for DVD that they headlined at the annual KJJZ Radio’s “Guitars & Saxes” Smooth Jazz Festival, hosted and produced by my friend, Jim “Fitz” Fitzpatrick.  .

- Paul Simon – not exactly the first person one thinks of when one is talking jazz greats, whether new or old school players, but Simon has employed the best of them for his many wonderful solo albums over the years.  And recently he made a foray into jazz at Lincoln Center where he performed with The Jazz and Wynton Marsalis.  My relationship with Paul goes back to 1973, when he was brought in to produce what was supposed to be my debut album as one half of the acoustic folk duo, Reynolds and Miller.  We had already toured and opened for Simon and even did a few early shows with Simon & Garfunkel as well.  In the late 70’s, Simon was a guest artist on several songs I was recording at the time with my folk rock band Pomeroy, adding both guest vocals and guitar.

- Brian Wilson – Known more for his extensive and legendary pop discography, Brian recently released a solo album of jazz and American Songbook classics.  As a composer, many of his chord progressions follow the fusion jazz structure.  Brian also appears as a guest vocalist on Old Sand Mill’s CD.  Two years ago, I directed his “Live Pet Sounds” multi-camera concert comeback at UCLA’s Royce Hall, that featured another ex-Beach Boy, Al Jardine..  

- Jack Jones – I met Jack and his wife in 2011, and had the opportunity to sing along with him at a private party, where he serenaded guests with his hits and jazzy classics.  Hearing him do “Love Boat” solo at a piano, was truly priceless.
- Gino Vanelli – A still touring international 70’s singing star, who flirted with smooth jazz on pretty much all of his many top ten hits.  Gino and I became friends when I decided to cast him in a supporting role in a small indie film I was set to direct in NYC, that was to star James Caan, Alison Eastwood (Clint’s daughter), and Dean Cain.  Unfortunately, the film was scheduled to shoot on September 15th, 2001.  Needless to say, history altered our plans. To compound matters, my dear friend and producing associate, Carolyn Mayer-Beug, was aboard Flight 11 that struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  A sad year for all.  But Gino and I nevertheless remain in touch and hope to work with each other on a future music or film project. 

- Allen Ginsberg – the great legendary beat poet and I performed many times together.  I opened for him as a spoken word performance artist throughout the NYC area in the early 70’s.  Allen was also born in my hometown, Paterson, NJ.  Allen experimented with jazz in almost all his writings and performances, working on stage with John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Charlie “Bird” Parker.

- Bernie Williams – a former NY Yankee great and Hall of Fame slugger with a gazillion World Series rings.  It seems, that all this time, he was also a great jazz and smooth jazz guitarist.  After retiring from the Yanks, he released several solo albums and all to favorable reviews, and has now played with a who’s who of smooth jazz greats and guitar legends, like Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, and Pat Metheny, and Will Lee and Paul Schaefer from The David Letterman Band.  As of this writing, PBS Television is preparing a huge marketing campaign to promote their September 2012 Pledge Drive Special live concert. The show was all shot on location in Puerto Rico, and features a host of international musical artists, including Marc Anthony, pianist Arthur Hanlon, Laura Pausini, Ana Isabel, Cheyo Feliciano, Natalia Jimenez, and Bernie Williams.  I directed, co-produced, and edited this exciting upcoming television special.

- Jake Shimabukuro – a world famous ukulele master who dives deep into jazz in his performance songbook.  I discovered him in 2000 while I was directing a movie in Hawaii.  He was part of a band called Colon, a top folk rock band on Oahu, winning two HOKU Awards that year (Hawaii’s Grammy Awards).  After the band split up, Jake went solo and I represented him for a year on the Mainland.  Since 2004, Jake’s career and status, has gone through the roof, performing for world leaders, opening for major artists, and gaining the respect of other great musicians.  He has appeared on all the major circuit shows: Leno, Letterman, O’Brien, Ferguson, Kimmel, and Daly’s, as well as at all the major jazz and music festivals around the world.  Called The Clapton of the Ukulele, Jake and I remain good friends and hope to work together in the near future.

- Pat Rizzo  - Since residing in the Palm Springs area, I have become good friends with sax great and orchestra leader, recording artist Rizzo, who was also an original member of Sly & The Family Stone and War.  Pat is currently recording his version of an original track from our Old Sand Mill CD, “The World Is Getting Colder.”  His Tony Bennett meets Earth, Wind & Fire mix of “River, River” is due for release in late 2012.

- Frankie Randall - I have also gotten to know on a very personal basis, recording artist and singer/pianist Frankie Randall, who not only accompanied Frank Sinatra as a pianist, but had a close personal relationship to Old Blue Eyes, and even inherited his original sheet music as a gift from Sinatra.  At his 2011 annual Christmas show at the Bob Hope Theater, I was invited to be on stage with his other guests, Jack Jones, Peter Marshall, Rich Little, Steve Rossi, Ariana Savalas (Telly’s singer/dancer daughter), and Pia Zadora.

- Pia Zadora – Pia and I became friends after I directed her comeback concert video DVD in 2012.  Before she voluntarily retired for 15 years to tend to her children, she played Las Vegas alongside Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Sammy Davis, Jr., Count Basie, and Tony Bennett. She is currently touring successfully and in mid-2013, we will be taping her show again, but this time as part of a Public Television special concert and documentary about Jewish Jazz greats and songwriters.


I think that pretty much drains my memory banks in my quest to tie my art and my life to jazz.  In retrospect, it appears that the many genres of jazz have been more influential and far more impactful to my world than I possibly could have imagined.  So let me finish by repeating, I thought I was never a fan of jazz.  Well, don't give me that jazz anymore!


Below are original illustrations and drawings inspired by Jazz, including a portrait of an aged John Cage.




No comments:

Post a Comment